Dialing Up with Windows 98
There are a few ways to set up Windows 98. First, you may use the set-up wizard outlined below (recommended).
Lastly, you may use the same method you use to set up Dial-Up Networking for
Windows 95 (though there are some additional options, you can probably just ignore them). Megapipe strongly recommends
you use the wizard unless you're certain you know what you're doing. Before attempting any type of connection to the
Internet, you should know your basic settings (logins, passwords, e-mail addresses, etc.).
This is the first wizard.
- Go to "My Computer," then "Control Panel" and then to "Internet" Choose the Connection tab and click on the "Connect" button. This will take you into the wizard.
- Select "I want to set up a new connection on this computer to my existing internet account..." and click "next"
- Select "Connect using my phone line and click "next."
- Check to make sure your modem is selected and click "next"
- Select "create a new dialup connection" and click "next"
- enter your area code and phone number then uncheck "dial using area code and country code"
- Type in your username and password
- Say "No" to advanced settings and hit "Next"
- Rename your connection "Megapipe" and click "next."
What you need to set up your mail and news
This information should help you set up your e-mail after the wizard is complete.
- Your e-mail account username
- Your e-mail account password
- Your outgoing or SMTP mail server (usually mail.megapipe.net)
- Your incoming or POP3 mail server (usually mail.megapipe.net)
- Outlook Express is going to want a "friendly name" for every mail account (for example, "Mark's Mail")